To help people understand more about Latter-day Saints, the Church recently published an article entitled “Mormonism 101: FAQ.” This article outlines Mormons’ basic beliefs, and answers some of the most common questions non-Mormons may have about the Church. It also addresses some of the more controversial topics related to the Mormon faith, hoping that accurate information can dispel some of the misconceptions and distortions about the Church that sometimes appear in the media. Questions addressed include:
- Are Mormons Christian?
- What do Mormons believe about God?
- Do Mormons believe in the Trinity?
- What is the Mormon View of the purpose of life?
- Do Mormons believe in the Bible?
- What is the Book of Mormon?
- What is a Mormon temple?
- Do Latter-day Saints believe in modern-day prophets?
- Do Latter-day Saints believe that the apostles receive revelations from God?
- Do Mormon women lead in the Church?
- Do Latter-day Saints believe they can become “gods”?
- Do Latter-day Saints believe that they will “get their own planet”?
- Do some Latter-day Saints wear temple garments?
- Do Latter-day Saints practice polygamy?
- What is the position of the Church regarding race relations?
- Do Mormons believe that the Garden of Eden is in Missouri?
- Why do you “baptize for the dead”?
- Why does the Church send out missionaries?
- Why don’t Mormons smoke or drink alcohol?
The most important information contained in the “Mormonism 101” article is a concise outline of the core beliefs of the Church. Since media attention often focuses on controversial issues, sometimes the picture painted of Mormons’ beliefs can be warped, dwelling on less important doctrines while leaving out the beliefs that Mormons themselves consider to be the most important. The article, “Mormonism 101,” states the following:
The founder of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Joseph Smith, wrote, “The fundamental principles of our religion are … concerning Jesus Christ that He died was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended into heaven; all other things which pertain to our religion are only appendages to it.”
It further states that “Latter-day Saints believe unequivocally that:”
1. Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world and the Son of our loving Heavenly Father.
2. Christ’s Atonement allows mankind to be saved from their sins and return to live with God and their families forever.
3. Christ’s original Church as described in the New Testament has been restored in modern times.